My decision to be a missionary has not surprisingly been met with intense skepticism within my family. How do I attempt to understand this? It has been extremely difficult to listen to my parents petitions for me not to go. I love them very much and I am trying to keep their feelings in perspective. However, as I told them, the only "no" I will accept is from God. I love them yes, but I serve God alone. This is not dishonoring. Jesus said that in one household, there would be division. This I have seen. However, there are those in the world who face greater persecution from their parents than I have faced. Parents often disown their children for trusting in Jesus. I am not the only believer who has ever met opposition for choosing to become a foreign missionary. I have recently been reading about the life of John Paton. Paton faced criticism for leaving a fruitful, urban mission and choosing to make his home amongst the cannibals in the New Hebrides islands. His life has served as an encouragement these past couple days I've been at home.
One argument that my father made was that he didn't wish to see me conform to another person's standards. He wanted me to be a leader and a rebel, live my own life, and break the norms of society by finding out who I am rather than be spoon fed my beliefs. But how can there be rebellion in a world that has come to tolerate rebellion? Sexual immorality, drunkenness, homosexuality, and agnosticism (just to name a few) would have once been perceived as rebellion. However, "rebellious" lifestyles have become the norm, have they not? Therefore who are the real rebels? Isn't it obvious? They are the ones who follow hard after Jesus, the ones who read their Bibles, the ones who refuse the American Dream. So I guess if rebellion is my true motivation in life, then surely I'm on the right track.
Regardless of my parents' stand, I will pursue missions unless God Himself shuts the door or gives me a new direction. But prayer and love will be my constant practice because I want more than anything to see them love and trust Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment